Since the 11th century, Castle Olimia has stood in the valley under the Rudnica mountain surrounded by green grass, orchards, gardens and fields. In 1663 the castle was newly inhabited by the Pavlin monks who built a beautiful baroque church nearby adorning it with a black and gold altar. The church was built in honor of the assention of the Virgin Mary into heaven and was originally meant for pilgrims. Thanks to the efforts of the Pavlin monks, one of the castle towers soon played host to the monastery’s pharmacy and in 1780, it was captured on a canvas by Anton Lerchinger.
Later, in 1782, Emperor Joseph II dissolved the cloister and instead formed a parish. The building and the surrounding land was then bought by Count Attems who, due to high taxes, ordered that two wings of the monastery be destroyed. In 1990, the Minorite monks moved to the monastery and continue to enjoy revealing to others the artistic and sacral wealth of the church and also of the old pharmacy. The monks have revived the traditional pharmacy of the monastery.
In the adjacent garden, they grow many healing plants from which teas, creams and tinctures are made to maintain health. In the botanical garden visitors are invited to become acquainted with the healing effects of the many plants which grow in our gardens, pastures, swamps and forests.
monday - saturday
09:00 - 12:00 & 13:00 - 19:00
13:00 - 19:00
for adults (including a guided tour): 1 euro
for groups of children: 0.5 euro
for children accompanied by a parent: free
Other Offers: Formal receptions in the quarters of Betanija (Pater wine is included).